Roasted Beta Carotene Snack Blend aka Roasted Beets, Sweet Potatoes, and Carrots

I was cleaning out the fridge yesterday and realized I still had some beets that needed to be used, so this morning I decided to do what I am calling my Beta Carotene Snack Blend and it's basically roasted sweet potatoes, beets, and carrots. 

I make a lot of variations on this theme because I love all of these things, all of the time. 

This is a super simple recipe to make and it's great for snacks or a side dish. I have even topped this with a poached egg for a full meal. Or you can even make a salad with this, spinach, feta, walnuts and a nice vinaigrette dressing! 

4 beets, peeled and cut into chunks 
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
3 large carrots, washed and cut into chunks 
2-3 tablespoons olive oil 
sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a large baking sheet with foil or parchment paper 

2. In a large bowl, toss the beets with 1/2 of the olive oil, then bake for 15 minutes

3. While the beets are baking, toss the sweet potatoes and carrots with the rest of the olive oil and the salt and pepper 

4. After the beets have baked for 15 minutes, add the carrots and sweet potatoes to the baking sheet (I like to keep the beets on one half of the sheet and the carrots/sweet potatoes on the other half to try and keep the carrots and sweet potatoes orange for as long as possible) and bake for another 45-60 minutes or until everything is fork tender. Turn the veggies at about 20 minutes in to ensure even roasting. 

And done! Look at that glorious color! 



You can of course add other seasonings or dress this up however you want, I just like to use this as a simple base recipe so I can use the mix in a variety of dishes. Sometimes I just portion them into baggies and eat them cold right out of the bag as an mid-morning or afternoon snack. I loves my veggies!! Matter of fact, I stood at the stove and was munching on them today as I was waiting for them to cool. SO yummy! 

Comments

Popular Posts