Sausage and Lentil Soup

Sausage and Lentil Soup
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
4-5 links of chicken sausage, removed from casings
3 cups red lentils
2 -12 oz bags frozen mixed vegetables
1 tablespoon Chicken flavored Better Than Bouillon 
8 cups water
2-3 tablespoons Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon oregano
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons turmeric

1. Heat up oil in a large stockpot over medium heat, saute onions and garlic in oil until the onions are tender (about 5 or 6 minutes) add chicken sausage and cook until sausage is completely cooked through. (Be sure to break up the meat and cook it like you do ground beef)
2. Add the water, Better Than Bouillon, mixed vegetables, lentils and all the seasonings. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer
3. Simmer until the lentils are almost disintegrated into the soup (about 20 to 30 minutes)
4. eat!

Mark's NOM scale
9 NOMS

Notes
* the chicken sausage I use always comes from Sprouts/Sunflower Market. It's incredibly fresh and way lower in fat and preservatives than anything else you can buy and since they make it fresh every day there isn't a ton of nitrates and chemicals in it. I usually buy the chicken bratwursts but I have also used the chicken and basil sausage which works well too. You can use pretty much any sausage you'd like but I like the chicken ones because they are lower in fat and calories and I just love the taste.

* all seasoning measurements on this recipe are approximate as I sorta just made it up as I went along and I am terrible about measuring stuff. Feel free to adjust any of the spices according to your tastes. I *highly* recommend using the turmeric and the cayenne though as they both have proven health benefits and neither one really affects the taste of the soup.

*I use the jar minced garlic for pretty much all my cooking but I will also usually add granulated roasted garlic that I acquired from Savory Spice Shop. Hard to go wrong with garlic.








Comments

Popular Posts