Korean Bulgogi Inspired Ground Beef

 Bulgogi is one of my favorite things in history but I haven't mastered making it and let's be real, my Great Aunt Barb's bulgogi set the bar too high for me! But I found a pretty good recipe to make a super fake version that has a lot of the same flavors. You may want to use low sodium soy sauce here or reduce it a bit because it can get pretty salty. 


1 lb ground beef

3 cloves minced garlic

1/4 cup packed brown sugar (I always prefer dark brown sugar)

1/4 cup soy sauce

2 teaspoons sesame oil

1/4 teaspoon ground or minced ginger 

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

1/4 teaspoon black pepper 

1. Brown ground beef in large frying pan. Add garlic near the end so it doesn't burn and cook until beef is done. 

2. In a bowl, whisk brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, red pepper flakes and black pepper. Pour the sauce mix over the ground beef and simmer for about 2 minutes or until it thickens slightly. 

** it tastes great if you sprinkle some sesame seeds and scallions on top if you have them** 


We serve it over rice but you can serve it over orzo or even noodles if you wanted. We just like rice best. 

Comments

Popular Posts