Chicken and Dumplings

Tonight I experimented with making chicken and dumplings and I have to say it was pretty darned awesome.  I've never made this before so I used the internets and cobbled together my own recipe using ideas from 3 different recipes and added some of the seasonings that I always use. 

2 teaspoons poultry seasoning 
olive oil 
1/4 cup flour
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 chicken breasts, cubed
1 lb baby carrots, diced 
4 stalks celery, sliced 
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon thyme 
1-2 teaspoons cayenne 
2 teaspoons turmeric 
1 bag frozen peas
2 tablespoon of Better than Bouillon, chicken flavor
6 cups water
1 cup milk 

Dumplings - I made the Bisquick recipe dumplings, they turned out pretty dense so I think next time I will try to make them from scratch 

1. Coat chicken breasts in flour and poultry seasoning and brown in garlic and olive oil in large stock pot
2. Once the chicken has been browned (doesn't need to be cooked all the way through as you are going to return it to the pot shortly) remove from pan and set aside in a bowl 
3. Add a little bit more olive oil to pan and add carrots, onions and celery to pot, saute until onions are tender then add thyme, cayenne and turmeric, stir and saute for 1-2 minutes 
4. Add chicken back to pot and then add the water and the chicken broth and the peas, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes or until the carrots are tender and chicken is cooked through
5. Add milk and bring back to a low boil

This is where you would add the dumplings and cook them according the directions. The Bisquick ones are fairly simple and not terrible just a little bit more dense than I would normally like. Even if you don't add the dumplings this makes a very hearty and delicious soup.

This gets 8 NOMS on Mark's Nom scale. 





Comments

Popular Posts