Horseradish Dill Potato Salad

I LOVE potato salad,  I like it with lots of mayo or no mayo, lots of mustard or no mustard, but only homemade potato salad. One of my favorites is one that I came up with on the fly several years ago and I just made it again this weekend and was reminded of how much I love it. So easy and tasty!

1 - 5lb bag red potatoes - skin on, washed and cut into bite sized pieces
1 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
1/2 cup Dijon Mustard
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish (more or less to taste)
2 tablespoons dill weed
6 hard boiled eggs, diced
1 white onion, diced
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
salt and pepper

1. Boil the potatoes in a large pot of salted water until they are tender but not mushy
2. Rinse the potatoes in cold water until they no longer give off steam, also make sure the eggs have been thoroughly cooled.
3. Mix the mayo, mustard, dill, horseradish and cayenne in a bowl. Taste it to make sure the "sauce" has enough tanginess without being overpowering. You should be able to smell and taste the horseradish but it shouldn't over power the other flavors.
3. Mix the sauce, potatoes, eggs, and onions in a large bowl and BAM! done.

** the amounts are all really subjective by the way. I usually do just enough mayo to make sure all of the potatoes are covered but not swimming in mayo. I always use Dijon mustard because it helps enhance the flavor that the horseradish lends to the salad.

**be careful with the horseradish, if you get too much in there the salad will cease to be tangy and just be a sinus clearer and while I don't mind that, most other people find it to be overbearing.

**I also tend to use cayenne as the garnish on top rather than paprika. Used in small doses it just adds a bite and won't catch your head on fire but you can absolutely use paprika as the garnish instead. I've found that smoked paprika works really nicely and imparts a great flavor.

NOTE - I need a guest nommer on this one as Mark is not a fan of potato salad. I'd give it 9 noms but I am biased *laugh*

Comments

Popular Posts