Beef Tips and Rice

Yesterday for dinner I decided to make some good old comfort food - Beef tips and rice. I haven't made this in years so I did my usual improvisation in creating a recipe using several recipes that I found online as a guideline.

1 lb sirloin steak, cubed (you can use stew meat or round steak too)
1 medium white onion, sliced
1 tablespoon coconut oil
3 cups water
1 tablespoon beef Better Than Bouillon
3 cloves of garlic
1 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder
crushed red pepper flakes - to taste
2 tablespoons cornstarch (I use the Argo brand)
2 tablespoons water

1. In a large frying pan heat the coconut oil over medium high heat
2. Add the beef and cook until browned, then add the onions and garlic, cook until onions are tender
3. Add the water, bouillon, and spices to the pan, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 45 minutes to an hour
4. While the beef is simmering, cook the rice (I use a rice cooker because it's so much easier for me)
5. Mix the cornstarch and the water in a ramekin or small bowl, once the beef is done cooking add the cornstarch mixture to the pan and stir thoroughly (if the gravy isn't as thick as you'd like you can always add more of the cornstarch/water mixture), simmer for several minutes until the floury taste imparted by the cornstarch dissipates
6. Serve over rice and done!


Mark gave this one 9 noms and I have to say it was pretty damned tasty!

Comments

Popular Posts