Tomato and Okra Stew

I didn't feel like going to the store tonight, so I selected a somewhat random sampling of items from the pantry and decided to improv a new recipe.


the core ingredients 
I knew I needed to use the pepper soon and I was craving okra and it just sort of came together from there. After it was done I realized that this is completely vegetarian and fairly light on the calories, which makes me pretty happy. It would also be very easy to just throw some Andouille sausage, chicken or shrimp in there to make Mr. S eat it.

I made mine pretty spicy but it would be easy to reduce or replace the chili garlic paste  to help cool of some of the bite depending on your individual tastes. You could also use different beans depending on your personal preference, I think lima beans would be wonderful in this dish!

Next time I might add more okra because I really love it but I think that this would still be very tasty without the okra if you are one of those people who don't like it.

onto the details!

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons chili garlic paste
2 garlic cloves, diced
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning (I like the Tony Chachere brand because it has no MSG in it)
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
 1 1/2 cup water
1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed
1 can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can okra, drained and rinsed
1 can Rotel tomatoes with green chilies with juice
1 can diced Italian tomatoes with juice
2 cups cooked rice

1. in a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat, add the chili garlic paste and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes
2. add onion  and peppers and cook until veggies are tender, then add the thyme, and Cajun seasoning and stir until all veggies are coated with spices
3. add water, bay leaf, beans, okra and tomatoes, bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes
4. remove bay leaf and serve over the cooked rice


Comments

Popular Posts