variation 2 - Tomato and Okra stew

Three of my favorite things are tomatoes, Lima beans and okra and so I decided to throw something together with these things and some Cajun seasoning for a healthy, low fat dinner. I served it over some shell pasta (because carbs!) but this would be delicious on it's own.

2 cans okra (fresh or frozen would work too but this is what I had on hand), with liquid
2 cans petite diced tomatoes
1 bag frozen Lima beans
1 can chickpeas, with liquid
1 can cannellini beans, with liquid
1 each - red, yellow, orange bell peppers, diced
1 white onion, diced
1 bay leaf
2-3 tablespoons Cajun seasoning 
3 cloves minced garlic
cayenne pepper to taste
2 cups water
olive oil

1. heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, add the onions and peppers and saute until tender, and then add garlic. Garlic burns very easily so I add this after the onions and peppers are cooked
2. add all of the rest of the ingredients to the pan and bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer, uncovered for 15-20 minutes.

super simple and I am sure there are some professional chef things I could do differently that would maybe help or make it more complex flavor wise but I loved this just the way it was.




Comments

Popular Posts