Aloo Patta Gohbi

Not long ago I was at my favorite Indian restaurant (like I could happily eat there every day and never get tired of it), Star Of India and I tried Aloo Patta Gohbi which I think translates to Potato and Cabbage. It's a dry, stir-fry like dish that traditionally comes from the North of India and I was blown away.

I love cabbage, I love potatoes, I love spicy Indian food, how could I not love this dish? I used my Google-Fu to search for recipes online and then cobbled my own variation together based on the ingredients that I had on hand and my own personal preference.

This is supposed to be a dry curry with no sauce, I realized I had to keep a close eye on it near the end to ensure that all of the moisture wasn't cooked off before the potatoes and cabbage was tender and cooked through.

Couple of notes - I use garlic and ginger separately but you can also buy ginger garlic paste which is wonderful stuff, I'm just out of stock on it right now. Also you will need a large, deep covered skillet, I have the GreenPan Rio 5 quart pan from Target and I love it especially for the price.

1-2 tablespoons canola oil  - or another oil with a high smoke point, do NOT use olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
2 teaspoons mustard seeds
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons ginger paste or 1 1/2 teaspoon of minced garlic
4 potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2" chunks
1 cup peas, frozen or canned
2 teaspoons turmeric
2 teaspoons coriander powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon red chili powder (or more if you want more heat but be careful, too much and it will have a weird almost dirty flavor)
1-2 bay leaves
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1/2 cup water (or more if needed)
1 small-medium head of cabbage, washed and shredded or cut into small chunks
2 teaspoons garam masala

1. Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet pan. Once the oil is hot (you can check it by tossing a cumin seed in the pan and make sure it sizzles), add the cumin and mustard seeds and cover immediately. The seeds WILL pop and get everywhere so you have to make sure you cover it right away. Fry the seeds for 1-2 minutes or until they change color. It doesn't take long for them to burn so only a minute or so will do.
2. Once the seeds change color add the onions, garlic and ginger paste and saute until the onions are translucent. Depending on your stove you may want to lower the heat so nothing gets burned.
3. Add the potatoes, peas, tomatoes, water, bay leaf, and the powdered seasoning except for the garam masala, stir until the potatoes are coated with the spice mixture. Reduce the heat to medium and cover. Cook for about 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are pretty close to being done
4. Add the cabbage, cover and cook until the cabbage has wilted down, once  it starts to get tender remove the lid and cook until most of the moisture in the pan is gone.

Comments

Popular Posts