Cheater Slow Cooker Carne Asada - the first recipe to get 10 NOMS from Mark! - UPDATE 5/13/19

About a week ago, Mark mentioned that he really wanted Carne Asada and while I agreed, I told him I wanted to try making it at home because I'm trying REALLY hard to stop eating out as much. We bought a nice flank steak from the grocery store for a really reasonable price and then it sat there for a couple of days thanks to his being booked at somewhat the last minute to play with the always awesome  VNV Nation. Mark's band Voicecoil did wonderfully and it was a really great show but as a consequence I didn't get around to doing the whole Carne Asada thing until today.

I cheated and used a crockpot since I am currently sans grill *sad face* I miss grilling so much!! 

Anyway, this turned out freaking AWESOME. The mix of citrus and vinegar and smoked paprika. Just delcious. I knew it was good when the first words out of Mark's mouth were "oh my god" and "I knew there was a reason I keep you" he then went on to give this dish the very first 10 NOM rating!   

I pan fried some corn tortillas, and just threw some cheese and diced red onion on there and made tacos. Its super easy and delcious.

Enjoy! 

2 lbs flank steak ***
1 teaspoon smoked paprika (very important to the flavor!) 
1 teaspoon cumin 
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt (more or less to taste) 
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons olive oil 
1/4 cup orange juice, fresh squeezed if possible, about 1 orange
1/4 cup lime juice, fresh squeezed if possible, about 1 lime
1/4 cup lemon juice, fresh squeezed if possible, about 1 lemon
1/4 soy sauce 
2 tablespoons white vinegar (also very important to the flavor!) 

1. In a small bowl mix all of the seasonings and spices and stuff and then stir in the olive oil until it forms a paste. Rub the mixture onto both sides of the flank steak. Let it sit on a cutting board for a minute. 
2.  While it's sitting there, in the same bowl you used for the spices, mix together the oj, lime, and lemon juices, soy sauce, and vinegar. use a whisk to help get any of the extra seasoning mix off the sides of the bowl and mixed into juices. Pour half of the juice in the crockpot, put the steak in and then pour the rest of the juice over it. Cover and cook on low for about 6 hours. 
3. Once it's cooked, put the steak on a cutting board and let it rest for about 10 minutes. Slice the meat against the grain and put it back into the sauce, stirring so the meat is nice and juicy. 

and Voila!

*** I've started using the precut packaged taco meat because it's about 1/2 the price as the meat I had been buying and this is just as good. I've also starting using my own taco seasoning mix that I throw together instead of measuring everything seperately. It's soooo good!! 


Comments

Popular Posts