#1 Breakfast casserole

You know those really yummy breakfast casseroles with the fluffy eggs and soft potatoes and tasty cheese? Well believe it or not, I'd never really made one! As a matter of fact, I actually forgot that I really like them depending on how they are made and I decided to give it a try. I also hoped that by having it on hand would help get Mark and I to start eating breakfast more regularly because we are both have a terrible habit of not eating breakfast. 

I've made about a half dozen in the past couple of weeks and while they were all tasty, I think I finally made the perfect recipe to keep as part of the repertoire, hence the blog post. I try to use this blog as a way to keep track of the recipes I am particularly fond of, or the ones that Mark especially likes so I can have a sort of running list of ideas. Deciding what is for dinner (or any meal) can be a bitch sometimes and this blog helps me sometimes. 

Alright, enough babbling. Onto the recipe! 

OH, as always all of the measurements are approximate and you can vary depending on your own preferences. :) I've made this with 12 eggs and 2 cups of milk, and I have also made it with 16 eggs and 1 cup of milk. It's very easy to adjust this depending on what you have on hand too. just don't skip the milk as it helps with the overall, fluffy and light eggs. 


1 bag frozen Ore-Ida potato crowns 
12 eggs
2 cup milk 
salt, pepper, cayenne - to taste 
1 1/2 cups frozen Santiago's Medium green chile, thawed (or you can use any kind of green chile you like or that is accessible to you but the to us, Santiago's is the ideal way to go here) 
2 1/2 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese
or 
1 1/2 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese & 1 cup Sharp Cheddar shredded cheese 

1. Heat the oven to the universal temperature of 350 and grease a 13x9 baking dish 
2. dump the bag of the potato crowns into the pan. You can make it in a flat, tidy layer so it forms a crust of sorts, or just distribute them fairly evenly in the pan.
2. In a large bowl whisk the eggs, milk, and salt & pepper together vigorously until the eggs are a little bit frothy, then add the green chile and 1/2 of the cheese and whisk until the green chile is fully incorporated into the egg mixture 
3. Pour egg mixture over the potatoes and make sure all of the potatoes are fairly well covered or submerged. Top with the remaining cheese. 
4. Bake for about an hour or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean and mostly dry. I've had it take up to 75 minutes before just depending on how carried away I got putting eggs and stuff in there. 


This version got 9 NOMS from Mark and he said it is the best one I have made yet. It's definitely a keeper. Enjoy! 

Comments

Popular Posts