PJ's newest and bestest version of Pumpkin Muffins (or Bread)

I love love love pumpkin bread and muffins and I have been wanting to try and come up with a new recipe that is less sweet, more savory and that has that perfect tender and moist interior and I think I might have finally figured it out.  I reduced the sugar from 3 full cups down to 2 1/4 cups after doing some initial recipe research and I do a mix of dark brown sugar with white sugar because I love the flavor that brown sugar adds and the texture that white sugar helps to provide. But if you want, you can do all brown sugar or all white sugar depending on your own personal tastes.

It's not super WW friendly at 7 pts a muffin but it's totally worth it. I think now that I have this recipe down, I can work on trying to make it a little lighter in calories.

This recipe makes about 30 muffins or 2 loaves of bread. I topped one batch with a sprinkle of mini-chocolate chips because I love chocolate. A lot. Its going to take all of my will power to not devour all of them right away. Of course as soon as Mark gets home from Salt Lake, I bet I won't have to wait long for him to devour them all *laugh*

3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon of PJ's Pumpkin Spice blend 
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1 - 15 oz can of pumpkin puree
1/4 cup maple syrup (pure is best if you can get it but any kind of maple syrup will work)
3/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
4 eggs
2/3 cup water


1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. If you are making bread, grease and flour 2 loaf pans. If you are making muffins just use the tin liners to make it easier to clean up.

2. In a medium bowl mix all of the dry ingredients - flour, the sugars, baking soda, spice blend, salt, and cardamom, using a whisk. Try to make sure that all the ingredients are well blended and that there are no brown sugar lumps. You can also use a sifter to ensure that it's all blended and smooth.

3. In a large bowl mix together all of the wet ingredients - pumpkin puree, maple syrup, oil, eggs, and water,  until well blended and smooth. Add the dry ingredients into the bowl and  mix until blended. I used my stand mixer with the paddle attachment and it gave it a perfect texture.

4. If you are making bread - pour about half of the batter in each loaf pan and bake for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the loaf comes out dry.

If you are making muffins - pour about 1/4 cup of batter into each muffin cup and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out dry. For me it took exactly 20 minutes and they came out perfectly.

*if you want to add the mini chocolate chips like I did, I just sprinkled a teaspoon or so on top of each muffin cup before baking.


Comments

  1. Made these today - I did add 1/2 t of clove to the spice mix. Just the right hint of sweetness, and great warm with a little bit of butter. I'd say 8.5?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts