Banana Oat Chocolate Chip Bars - Vegan and easy to make gluten free!

I had a ridiculous amount of overripe bananas in the freezer but I didn't want to make banana bread because I wanted to try something different. So after a lot of googling and some bastardization of a couple of other recipes, I came up with these delicious little bars. They are not super sweet, all of the sweetness comes from the bananas so it's important to keep that in mind. Also keep in mind that the darker or riper the banana, the sweeter the flavor. The ones I used were black and just sweet enough for me with the chocolate chips. You could always add some honey or agave syrup or brown sugar or something if you want it sweeter

I am planning on making a couple of different versions as the base recipe makes it super easy to chose a wide variety of different combinations. The first variant of these that I am going to try, is a version of my Cardamom Apricot cookies with dried apricots, cardamom and a touch of brown sugar. Then after that I think I might do a blueberry version. I will post the final recipes for my variations as the points value will differ depending on what I am adding. Obviously.

I've marked the optional or changeable ingredients so you know what you can easily omit or change based on your own tastes and what you have on hand at the time. You can also leave out the salt without a problem although it does help add to the overall flavor.

Cooking spray
3 large super ripe bananas
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)*
2 cups old fashioned oats
1/4 cup chocolate chips**
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)***
sprinkle of cinnamon****

1. Preheat oven to 350 and spray a 8 x8 pan with cooking spray

2. Mash the bananas in a large bowl until all of the large chunks are broken up and it's almost like a liquid. Stir in the vanilla extract if using. Mix in the oats until well coated with banana and then add the chocolate chips, salt, and nuts and mix well

4. Place mixture into the greased pan and pat into an even layer then sprinkle the top with the cinnamon. Bake for 30 minutes or until the edges start to crisp up. Let cool completely and cut into 9 even pieces.Each piece is 4 points. 


* You can omit the extract completely or you can change it out for almond or any other flavor you want
** You can use dried fruits like raisins, dates, figs, or apricots or nothing at all if you want something that's just oats and bananas.
*** You can use any kind of nuts like pecans, almonds, walnuts, or again, nothing at all if you can't or don't eat nuts. It just helps add some protein and a bit of crunch
****You can use cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, sugar, again lots of options and you can omit this totally if you'd like.


There are so many ways to change and modify this recipe using the core base of bananas, oats, and salt that I'm thinking I will make a different variation every week for a while now. Like apple and brown sugar, or apricot cardamom, or bluberry pecan....Let me know if you make a version and what your thoughts are!

Comments

Popular Posts