Stewed Beets with tomatoes and Indian spices

I love beets but I get bored of just eating them roasted and a friend of mine gave me an excellent vegetarian cookbook with recipe for these stewed beets and tomatoes. I had to modify it for the ingredients I have on hand and it's quickly turned into one of my most favorite things to make and eat. It's great hot or cold and you can easily add more or less heat by changing up how much crushed red pepper you add.

I made these in the Instant Pot using the saute and slow cook functions but you can also do it on the stove top. I will put both instructions on here just in case.


1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (or to taste)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons canola oil
26 oz container of chopped tomatoes
2 lbs peeled and cubed beets

Instant pot version
1. Heat oil in Instant Pot on saute mode until hot, add spices and fry for about 1 minute.

2. Add tomatoes and stir until the spices are well mixed into the tomatoes.

3. Turn to slow cook mode on high with timer set for 4 hours and add the beets. Cover and cook until the beets are tender.


Stove Top method
1. Heat oil in large sauce pan on high until hot, add spices and fry for about 1 minute.

2. Add tomatoes and stir until until the spices are well mixed into the tomatoes.

3. Add the beets and turn down to a simmer and cook for about an hour or until the beets are tender, stirring frequently


Super easy and super delicious

Comments

Popular Posts