Slow Cooker Red Beans w/ Rice

There is this wonderful restaurant here in Denver called Lucile's Creole Cafe and they make these amazing red beans that are so tender and creamy and flavorful and just delicious. I've been craving them so I decided to try my hand at making my own version of these and Oh My Science, they turned out SO good. I am definitely adding this to my regular rotation. And the ingredients are very simple and inexpensive so its a great budget meal.

I cobbled my own recipe together by using 3 or 4 different variations that I saw on the web, this is a meal you could easily tailor to a vegetarian/vegan recipe by removing the meat and maybe adding a dash of liquid smoke to help give it the smoky flavor that is imparted by my use of the smoked hamhock.

And the added bonus is, if you cook it in the crockpot you do not need to pre-soak the beans! Actually you never really need to pre-soak beans, all it really does is help speed up the cook time but when it's going in a crockpot, that no longer matters.

I also sauteed the celery, bell peppers, onions, and garlic before adding them to the crockpot, This is totally optional if you are pressed for time, I just feel like it adds a slightly different flavor when I cook them a bit first. Of course that could just be me making shit up, but whatever, it turned out great so who am I to question it?

1 pound bag dried kidney beans or small red beans, rinsed and sorted
1 smoked hamhock
water to cover everything in the crockpot, it was about 3 liters for me
1 pound andouille sausage, sliced into rounds
Ham - I used part of a package of sliced spiral ham that I found with the hamhocks but a ham steak cut up would also work. You can also use more or less ham depending on how much you like it. Trust me, it's delicious when the beans are done!
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne - this gives it a nice slow burn so if you don't want that, lessen or remove this.
1-2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning, all depends on your preferences. You can always add more but you can't really take it back out!
2 bay leaves
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 celery stalks, washed and sliced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
cooked rice - I don't know how much you need, its your family

1. Put everything up to the celery in the crockpot.
2. Saute the celery, green bell pepper, onion and garlic in a frying pan over med-high heat until the onion is translucent.
3. Add veggie stuff to crockpot and cook on low for 12 hours or high for 8. It may take less than that but I really wanted those super creamy, mushy red beans.
4. Cook and serve with rice of your choice

And done!



Comments

Popular Posts