Rajma - Red Bean Curry

I've been wanting to make my own spin of Rajma for a couple of months but I kept getting distracted so today I finally made the commitment and boy am I happy with the results! I wanted to cook it in the slow cooker because I LOVE the way beans turn out in the crockpot and for Indian inspired dishes, the long slow cooking time really gives the flavors time to develop and meld.

As usual I searched the internets and found a couple of basic recipes to create my own using what I have on hand and my own personal taste. I made it a little bit milder than I would normally because my always tetchy stomach has been particularly tetchy lately but it's really easy to tailor the heat level on this recipe. And while I made it milder for ME, I imagine it's probably not that mild to others.

As I said in my post for the Cajun Red Beans and Rice, you do NOT have to pre-soak your beans, just know that by not soaking them, it can take longer for them to get tender, which when you are using a crock pot, isn't that big of a deal.

2 cups dried dark red kidney beans, sorted and rinsed
2 tablespoons yellow curry powder
cayenne pepper, optional and to taste depending on your preferences
1 1/2 tablespoon ginger paste
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 red onion, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon tomato paste
6 cups water
1 tablespoon vegetable Better than Bullion
1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
1 14 oz can, petite diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon salt and pepper

1. Put everything from the beans to the Better than Bullion in the crock pot and cook on high for 5-6 hours or until the beans are tender.

2. Add the citrus juice and tomatoes and cook on high for another 1-2 hours or so, until the tomatoes break down and are incorporated. Mash some of the beans with the back of the spoon to help thicken the sauce.

3. Serve over basmati rice and done!

It's super simple, very filling and appropriate for a lot of people with food allergies as it's naturally vegan, gluten and corn free, and its easy to tailor for individual tastes. I can tell it turned out good because Mark ate some despite the fact that it's vegan *laugh*



While this recipe is vegan, you can thicken the sauce by using some Greek yogurt, or if you are like me, you like topping it with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt when you serve it. Something about the delicious coolness of the yogurt, mixing with the flavorful, creamy beans. GET IN MY BELLEH!



Comments

Popular Posts