Homemade hummus

Hummus has to be one of the best things ever in the world in my opinion. I love it so much. As a dip, as a sandwich spread, as an ingredient in a salad even. Although I think one of my favorites is dipping french fries in a creamy, flavorful hummus. MMMM

I've made homemade hummus before but I used canned garbanzo beans and while it was pretty good, it didn't really blow me away. Now that I don't use canned beans anymore I decided to give it a go with garbanzo beans cooked from dry and holy crap it was SO much tastier and I will never go back to store bought hummus again!

1 cup dry chickpeas
1/2 cup tahini (or more if you like, it's up to you)
juice from 1 lemon
4 cloves garlic
1/2-1 teaspoon ground cumin
salt
high quality olive oil
parsley
sumac (optional)

1. Rinse and sort the dry chickpeas, if you put them in the bowl to soak and the water looks dirty, you may have to rinse the beans a couple of times. You really want the soaking water to be clear when you are soaking the beans
2. Fill a medium saucepan with about 4-6 cups of water and add the beans, add some salt and pepper and cook the chickpeas for about 45-60 minutes or until the beans are tender. Basically until you can easily smush one between your fingers. Once cooked, drain and rinse with cool water but reserve at least 1-2 cups of the cooking liquid in case you need it for later. Trust me on this. Let them sit until they have cooled a bit or rinse with cold water until you can handle the beans easily.
3. Put the chickpeas in a food processor and grind really well. Once they are ground up, let them sit for about 10 minutes.
4. Add the tahini, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, more salt, and some olive oil and mix until it's the right texture for you. If it's too thick, use some of the cooking liquid and blend unti lthe hummus is just right. It's okay if it is a little more liquidy than you ultimately want because it will thicken as it sits.
5. When serving top with a little more olive oil, some parsley and if you have it, sumac. The sumac gives it a great citrusy, sour flavor and its so good.

Comments

  1. Do you recommend a particular brand of Tahini? I have had no luck finding anything that isn't crazy bitter or salty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brand I bought is Krinos and I really like it. Has a very nice flavor. I cannot for the life of me remember where I bought it but I think it was at my local King Soopers - https://www.amazon.com/Krinos-Tahini-Ground-Sesame-16-Ounce/dp/B00O865WIM

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts