Baked Falafel

I LOVE falafel and I love making it from scratch but with me being on Weight Watchers I wanted to perfect my baked falafel recipe and I think that this is it. It's not a crispy as it is when I fry it but with this recipe, it's only 4 points for 3 falafel and about 1/4 cup of the amazing shawarma sauce I created. And better yet, it's delicious! You can't beat that.

I served mine with spinach, tomato, hardboiled eggs, red onion and the shawarma sauce. It was exactly what I wanted it to be and I will definitely be making this again.

One note - do NOT use canned chickpeas or cooked chickpeas. By just soaking dried beans and using those, it not only helps it hold together better because the mixture is drier but it helps create that delicious crispy exterior. Trust me its worth it.

1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked for 12-24 hours and drained
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
1 cup fresh parsley
4 cloves garlic
1-2 tablespoons cumin (I use closer to 2 but do it to your taste)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 400 and spray a cooking sheet with cooking spray. Note - don't use foil on the cooking sheet, the falafel doesn't seem to brown as nicely if you do
2. Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor and blend until everything is blended and chopped up pretty fine. Just don't over process or it will make the mixture too wet and it won't hold together very well. You can add a little more lemon juice or olive oil if it's too dry just be careful adding more moisture!
3. Roll the mixture into smallish balls, about 2" big or so and place on the baking sheet. Smoosh them down a little bit with your fingers to flatten them out into a patty.
4. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through



Comments

Popular Posts