Navy Beans and Spinach (or as Mark is calling it - PJ's Sticks and Twigs) - Instant Pot

I've been working on creating some new low fat recipes that are full of veggies and fiber to help me along my Weight Watchers journey. The really great thing about the new plan is that there are 200 foods that have no points including lots of things I really love, like all beans, fruits and veggies (fresh or frozen but not dried),  chicken breast (skinless and prepared without oil), and fishes including shrimp. That makes it WAY easier for me to create new recipes and new flavors for low points.

Tonights experiment was definitely inspired by the "what do I have in the house right now that doesn't require me leaving the house to get anything because I don't want to put a bra or shoes on" mindset. Very simple recipe but it turned otu very flavorful and was super easy to cook since I used my Instant Pot for it.

And while I used beef bullion and worcestershire sauce to help create that umami flavor, you could very easily substitute things like mushrooms and sea vegetables and vegetable bullion to make the recipe vegetarian or vegan. The addition of the smoked paprika gives it a wonderful smoky flavor without adding ham or other meats.

Onto the noms!

1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 jalapeno, halved and seeded
2 ribs of celery, chopped
2 large carrots, diced
1 lb dry navy beans, washed and picked through
8 cups of water
1 teaspoon each - Better than Bullion Roasted Beef Base and Roasted Garlic Base
1 teaspoon or more crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 bay leaf
3 tablespoons Italian seasoning
1-2 tablespoons soy sauce (or to taste)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
9 oz fresh spinach
salt and pepper, to taste

1. Turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting and saute garlic, onion, jalapeno, celery and carrots in the olive oil until the veggies are tender
2. Change the setting to slow cook setting and add all of the other ingredients up to the spinach, stirring to incorporate everything
3. Cook for 8-10 hours on low or 4-6 hours on high (if you presoak your beans, it could take less than that, I'm just lazy and I don't presoak beans anymore) or until the beans are nice and soft and creamy. Then I removed the jalapeno halves because I like the flavor they add but I don't really care to eat the actual peppers.
4.  Add the spinach, which you can chop if you'd like, until it's wilted and tender. And that's it. Ready to serve!

You can serve this with rice or riced cauliflower or just eat it on it's own. Super easy, super delcious and only 1 point per serving if you divide the pot into 8 servings. Can't beat that!

Comments

Popular Posts