Tamale Pie made with Roasted Poblano Turkey Chili

I was soaking kidney beans, black beans, and lima beans last night and was trying to think of what to make with each of them when it occured to me that it's been a long time since I've made chili and I love kidney beans in chili so that's one bean down! (The other 2 will have recipes coming soon, I am thinking of picadillo made with black beans instead of beef and maybe a sweet potato lima bean curry, I don't know for sure yet)

Once I started making the chili though, I started thinking about tamale pie and then I couldn't stop thinking about tamale pie so I decided to take the chili and turn it into a tamale pie. If you just eat the chili its 1 point a serving but a serving of the tamale pie is only 4 points which isn't too bad!

Today's suprise ingredient was peanut butter! I scorched the bottom of the pot and after transferring it to a new pan I still had a hint of bitterness so after some Googling I decided to try adding some peanut butter to it to see if it would alleviate that taste or not. It sounded crazy and I was super nervous about it but holy hell, its so good! It just added a nice creamy richness to the chili and you don't even really taste it much and it's going to be my new go to addition to my chili moving forward!

Chili 
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 lb ground turkey breast
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 roasted poblanos, peeled, seeded and diced
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon coriander
salt & pepper to taste
2 cups water
2 - 14.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes
1 cup dry kidney beans, soaked overnight and cooked until tender or 2 cans of drained kidney beans
1 teaspoon Better than Bullion beef base
2 tablespoons peanut butter

Cornbread topping 
3/4 cup cornmeal
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1. Heat the oil over med-high heat in a large stockpot or pan, add the garlic and cook for about 1-2 minutes and then add the ground turkey and cook until browned
2. Add the onions, poblanos, bell pepper and cook until the veggies are tender-crisp. Then add the spices through the salt and pepper and stir until the spices are evenly distributed on the veggies.
3. Add the water, tomtatoes, beans, Better than Bullion and peanut butter and bring to a boil. Once it boils, lower the heat to simmer and cook for at least 20-25 minutes (but longer is better!) or until the mixture starts to thicken. I cooked it for about 1 1/2 hours just to really let it thicken and build the flavors.
4. Once the chili is done cooking, remove from heat and pre-heat the oven to 425 and spray a baking dish with cooking spray. I used a 10" cake pan but you could also use a 9 x 9 baking dish.
5. In a large bowl whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. In a medium bowl whisk together the remaining wet ingredients. Once combined, mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until completely blended. Let sit a minute or two before using.
6. Fill the baking dish with the chili (I had about 2 cups that I reserved to eat by itself) and top with the cornmeal mixture. Bake 20-25 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.


Comments

Popular Posts