Spinach and Feta Pie (really casserole I think), 5 Freestyle Points a big serving

For the 4th of July I had a Immigrants and Indigenous potluck to celebrate all the wonderful places (and food) that makes up MY America and one of my friends brought a lighter version of Spanakoptia and I was reminded just how much I love that dish! And since then, the combo of spinach, feta, and onions is almost all I can think about. But even a lighter version still isn't that friendly for my WW especially when I have very little self control around it so I decided to come up with my own version of a crust-less spinach pie and I am pretty happy with my results.

Oh! and you can portion it out and freeze it for up to 3 months!!

EDIT - I added collard and mustard greens for more texture and significantly reduced the flour mixture so it's really only there to hold it together. I am sure this reduces the points but I haven't figured it out yet.

30 oz spinach - frozen - thawed and squeezed dry or use fresh and steam it, just be sure to get as much of the water out of it as you can
2 bunches each of Mustard and Collard Greens, boiled for about 5 minutes and chopped finely like the spinach
1 cup red onions, diced
1 1/2 cup reduced fat feta crumbles
2-3 tablespoons dill
3-4 tablespoons parsley
1-2 tablespoons each of garlic powder and onion powder
crushed red pepper, optional
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 large eggs
salt and pepper to taste
cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 400 and spray a 8 1/2 x 11 baking dish with cooking spray
2. In a large bowl mix the spinach, onion, feta, Parmesan, dill, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder and crushed red pepper. Put mixture into baking dish
3.  Sift the flour and the baking soda together into another large bowl, then add the rest of the ingredients and mix until well blended and smooth (it wasn't all the way smooth when I made it so there are some lumps in there, learn from my mistake!) Pour into the baking dish and stir so everything is mixed well
4. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a knife in the middle comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

if you cut this big pan into 8 equal servings, each serving is only 5 points a piece which is a total win in my book.


Comments

Popular Posts