Grilled Chicken and Red Onion Skewers with Turmeric Rice

I used about 4 different recipes cobbled together to come up with the overall finished product and boy was it delicious! The yogurt sauce is definitely optional but it is a nice compliment to the other flavors. I can't wait to try my homemade tandoori seasoning on other kinds of meats!

This one takes a bit more planning than normal as the chicken needs to be marinated prior to cooking, you can do it for an hour and it will still be good but overnight is the way to go. Trust me on this, totally worth it.

1 lb chicken breasts, cut into chunks
1 1/4 cup plain fat free Greek yogurt, divided in half
2 Tbsp tandoori spice mix (see below for recipe)
2 medium red onion, cut into wedges
cooking spray
2 cups cooked Jasmine Rice (add 1 teaspoon of turmeric to the water when you start cooking the rice)
1 bag frozen peas

Yogurt Sauce
3/4 cup plain, fat free, Greek yogurt
1/2 cup cucumber, English variety, diced
3 tbsp mint leaves, fresh, chopped or 1 tbsp mint leaves dried
1/4 tsp kosher salt (or table salt)

Tandoori Spice Mix
3 Tbsp ground ginger
3 Tbsp ground coriander
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp black pepper
2 tsp kosher salt (or table salt)
2 tsp turmeric
1 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (depending on how spicy you like your food)


First make the spice mix, I like to buy the 1 cup size plastic storage containers for my various homemade spice blends, just make sure that whatever you store it in is air tight to keep it fresh. Usually I will just measure it all into one of the containers and stir it up or alternately just secure the lid and shake the container until everything is thoroughly mixed up.

Next I make my yogurt sauce  - mix 3/4 cup yogurt, diced cucumber, mint and 1/4 tsp (or to taste) salt. Store in fridge in an airtight container.

Then put the chicken, 1/2 cup of the yogurt and the spice mix in a resealable Ziploc bag, seal bag and turn to coat the chicken. Put the bag on a plate in the fridge and let marinate for at least 1 hour. I generally will turn the bag over a couple of times or smoosh things around to make sure all of the chicken is completely covered in the marinade.

Now to the cooking!

Preheat grill, remove the chicken from the marinade and discard the marinade. Thread the chicken and the red onion wedges onto metal skewers using about 4 pieces of chicken and 2-3 pieces of onion per skewer. Coat the chicken and the onions with cooking spray to keep it from sticking to the grill.

Grill the skewers, turning them a lot to make sure they cook thoroughly and do not burn. It takes about 7-9 minutes for the chicken to cook through.

But what about the peas you may ask? I add them to the turmeric rice because that is how my favoritest Indian restaurant serves their rice (well with a lot less peas but I love peas so I do what I want!)

And now is the time for noms.




Comments

Popular Posts