Blueberry Pecan Coffee Cake

Awhile back I bought a box of Betty Crocker Butter Pecan cake mix and then I promptly forgot about it. While cleaning out the pantry I rediscovered and was determined to come with creative way to use it. Then this week fresh blueberries were on sale and BAM, Blueberry Pecan Coffee Cake.

I made the cake tonight and while it's delicious, like HOLY SHIT THAT'S GOOD, delicious, I made a couple of rookie mistakes so it doesn't look as pretty as I would have liked. But again, it's SO good. In writing the recipe I corrected my mistakes (flouring the berries so they wouldn't sink and baking the cake till the top was set before adding the streusel) so next time it should be good enough to make Mary Berry proud! Even though I'm using cake mix *laugh*

Mary Berry is the best. The fact that she and Mel and Sue all left The Great British Bake Off when it was moved to Channel 4 makes me so sad, it won't be the same without them. 
For Cake
1 box Betty Crocker Butter Pecan cake mix
3 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 cup fresh blueberries, rinsed and allowed to dry or at least mostly dry
1 cup pecan pieces
1 tablespoon flour

For Streusel
1/3 cup white sugar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon sea or kosher salt (optional but it gives the streusel the perfect amount of saltiness to go with the sweetness)
1/2 cup pecan pieces
8 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 10" round Springform cake pan with Bakers Pride or Pam for Baking spray. If you don't have a Springform pan, you can line it with parchment paper with extras on the sides to use as a sling of sorts. That way you can get it out of the pan without messing up the streusel-y topping


2. Prepare the streusel topping - mix the sugars, flour, spices, pecans and salt in a bowl until well mixed. Add the butter and using a pastry cutter or 2 knives, cut the butter into the dry mix until the mixture is all crumbly. Set aside

3. Toss the blueberries in the 1 tablespoon of flour and set aside. Prepare the cake batter as directed on the box, adding the 1/2 teaspoon of cardamom, mix until everything is all mixed together.  Fold the floured blueberries and pecans into the batter. Do not overmix.

4. Bake the cake for about 20 minutes or until the top is set then GENTLY remove from the oven and GENTLY sprinkle the streusel topping on the cake. Put back in the oven, baking for another 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. I baked my cake for about 42 minutes when all was said and done and it can vary from oven to oven and pan to pan if you decide to use a different pan. I generally start checking around 25 minutes or if I'm using a different size pan than the original recipe called for.

5. Let it cool about 10 minutes in the pan and then remove from the pan and serve!

It's fully baked but since my streusel topping sank, it became a streusel swirl! Still unbelievably delicious just not quite what I was aiming for. 

Comments

Popular Posts