PJ's Cherry Chocolate Cake

My  Aunt Tammy makes this cake and it's one of my all time favorites. I made a couple of tweaks by adding the almond extract and the chocolate chips but this is pretty close to her recipe. I usually make it in a bundt cake pan and it really doesn't need any frosting or anything. I do recommend letting it sit overnight though, it gets this awesome dense, fudgy texture to it if you let it sit overnight.

You can substitute any pie filing depending on your own preferences. I've used strawberry before and I've been debating making a chocolate blueberry cake.


1 box Devils Food cake mix
1 20 (or 21 oz) can of cherry pie filling
1 tsp almond extract
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 to 3/4 cup chocolate chips

1. Prepare a bundt cake pan with butter and flour or the pre-mixed spray stuff. I like the Bakers Choice brand. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. In a large bowl hand mix all of the ingredients together until blended
3. Bake in the bundt pan for around 40-45 minutes, check it at 40 minutes by inserting a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean, you are good to go.
4. Let it cool in the pan for about 5-10 minutes, then take it out of the pan and let it cool completely before storing it. Its pretty good when its still warm but it's SO much better if you let it sit for a day.


Comments

Popular Posts